Be honest with yourself….is your closet full of things that you just don’t wear? Full of clothes, shoes, accessories that are taking up space. Full of things that you don’t feel beautiful and confident in? Yup….I thought so! That struggle is real for the everyday average American woman. Just think of how much space, time, and money is wasted in having a closet like that. So let’s learn how to simplify your closet so you can focus on mothering!
First off, just think of the time you’ve wasted browsing the stores for a little retail therapy. Think of the money you’ve wasted on purchasing pieces just because it was on sale or it looked good on in the dressing room, but not so much when you took it home. Imagine the time you waste daily staring at your closet trying to figure out what to wear. And what about all that wasted space in your closet, being filled with unwanted and unworn clothing. Well, not anymore! Let’s get rid of that waste and fill it with time, money, and space so you can be a better mom.
STEP 1- Make a Mess
Take everything (everything!) out of your closet. Make a mess! We’re going to start from scratch so you can put only the things you love back in.
STEP 2- Ask Questions
- Do you love the way you look in it? (whether it’s shoes, pants, a skirt, shirt, dress, sweater, accessory…do you love the way it looks on you?)
- Does it fit? Is it flattering?
- Is it in good condition? Does it have a hole or tear in it? Is it pilling, fading or stretched out?
- Do you feel confident and beautiful when you wear it?
- Can you wear it with more than one thing, in more than one way?
STEP 3- Make 3 Piles
When you pick up an item and ask yourself those questions, put it in one of three piles: Keep, Maybe, Toss. Here’s how you can divide them up:
- If you love the way it looks on you.
- If it fits and it’s flattering on you.
- If it’s in good condition and doesn’t have any problems with it.
- If you feel confident and beautiful in it.
- If you can wear it with more than one thing, in more than one way.
- If you like it.
- If it’s versatile.
TOSS (donate or throw away)
- If you don’t love it or like it.
- If you never wear it.
- If you haven’t worn it in a year or longer!
- If it doesn’t fit. (even if you think you’re going to lose that weight someday)
- If it has holes, tears, or problems with it.
- If you do not feel confident in it.
- If it’s not flattering.
- If you have doubles or triples of it!
- If it’s not versatile.
Once you have your clothes all divided up into those piles, go through each item in your Like pile and be honest. Do you really need it? Do you really want it in your closet? If yes, then add it to your Love pile. If no, then add it to your Toss pile.
Bag up your Toss pile and either donate the items or throw them away. It will feel so good to purge and get rid of them!
Now that you’re left with only one pile, start putting the pieces back in your closet!
When you open your closet, you’ll be welcomed by clothes and accessories and shoes that you love! You’ll spend less time wondering what to wear, less money buying things that you don’t love and you’ll have more space and less mental clutter. And that will give you more time to spend with your kiddies. More time to focus on what matters. More money to spend creating memories together and less money wasted on things that don’t matter.
By JoEllen Woods